In the Libraries: October at George Bruce
This October, George Bruce Library on 125th Street celebrates NYPL's Welcome Week from October 18 to 23, offers crochet and chat hours, virtual book discussions, and more.!
As of October 5, the New York Public Library has eliminated overdue fines. All balances have been cleared, and going forward returning books late will not incur fines or fees. If a book is more than 30 days overdue, it will be declared lost and a replacement fee will be charged, but returning the book removes that fee.
NYPL locations offer nearly all of their in-person services with masks required, and many events are still being held virtually. Stop by George Bruce Library for browsing, seating, and computer access.
- Adults 50+ can schedule a one-on-one in person computer basics session that covers using a computer, the internet, some software, and also how to use the library's online resources, including downloading e-books. Call 212-662-9727 or sign up at the front desk.
- This month's Open Book Hour for adults is on October 13 at 12PM. Swap recommendations, talk about your current reading, and discuss new books with fellow readers.
- Join a Crochet & Chat event virtually on October 13 or October 27 at 2PM and learn the basics of how to chain and loop stitch.
- Join the Teen Advisory Group on October 19 at 4PM to help guide the George Bruce Library's staff as they plan programming for your fellow teens.
- Live online story time for children ages 3-5 (and their caretakers) is on October 20 at 4PM.
- On Thursday, October 21, George Bruce Library will have in-person Welcome Week activities for kids (12-6:45 PM), teens (3-5 PM), and adults (12-6 PM). There will be an interactive obstacle course, button making, a branch tour, prizes and giveaways, and much more.
- Teens ages 13-18 can discuss their current reading at the teen Open Book Hour on October 28 at 4PM.
Past Updates from George Bruce Library
- Go back to school with NYPL: Kids of all ages, educators, parents, and caregivers can access an array of programs and resources in person and online. Get after school care, books, homework help, learning activities and tools, and much more.
- Watch one of the recorded story times from George Bruce children's librarian Margo Moore.
- Get adult education and training resources for English learning, small business support, financial coaching, technology, and more.
- Explore book recommendations with staff picks for adults, teens, and children.
- Learn about the procedures now that all NYPL branches are open.
The New York Public Library (NYPL) is a great resource for New Yorkers, offering virtual events, free online services, and a wide variety of support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Columbia Neighbors has partnered with the George Bruce Library on 125th Street to provide regular updates from library staff and highlight its fantastic offerings.