In The Libraries: July at George Bruce
Enjoy July at George Bruce Library on 125th Street with virtual open book hours to chat with fellow readers, the NYPL's expansive summer programs, and virtual storytime for children and families.
As of July 6, George Bruce Library offers nearly full service, including general library use and seating, unlimited browsing, computer access, and more. Currently, events are still being held virtually but in-person programs and classes will return over the coming months. Masks are still required for everyone at NYPL locations.
- Join this month's Open Book Hour for adults on July 14 at 12:00PM. Discuss new and noteworthy books, swap recommendations, and more.
- Live online story time is happening twice this month! Sign on to hear about animals on July 15 and July 29 at 4PM.
- On July 21 at 1PM, join the Teen Advisory Group meeting with George Bruce Library staff to help the library come up with ideas for online programs, suggest books to recommend on social media, and share insights on what teens are reading right now and what programs they're interested in.
- Teens ages 13-18 can chat about whatever they're currently reading at their own Open Book Hour on July 29 at 4PM.
Past Updates from George Bruce Library
- Missed last month's Schomburg Center's Literary Festival? Panels and events are available to watch online. The festival, "Reading the African Diaspora," expanded the center's long tradition of championing authors of African descent from across the globe and publications that celebrate Black history and culture.
- Learn about the procedures now that all NYPL branches are open.
- Overdue fees are suspended until September 30, 2021.
- Check out Summer Learning 2021: Imagine Together for a summer reading challenge, a writing contest, virtual summer camp, resources for educators, and more.
- Call Story Line at 917-ASK-NYPL (917-275-6975) to hear a new children’s book performed in English, Spanish, and Mandarin every week.
The New York Public Library (NYPL) is a great resource for New Yorkers, offering virtual events, free online services, and a wide variety of support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Columbia Neighbors has partnered with the George Bruce Library on 125th Street to provide regular updates from library staff and highlight its fantastic offerings.