In the Libraries: August at George Bruce
This August, George Bruce Library on 125th Street is offering open book discussion hours, in-person one-on-one computer basics sessions, virtual story time, and more.
In July, the library began offering nearly full service, including general library use and seating, unlimited browsing, computer access, and more. Currently, most events are still being held virtually but in-person programs and classes will expand over the coming months. Masks are still required for everyone at New York Public Library (NYPL) locations. Learn more about the NYPL's reopening policies.
- Adults ages 50 and up can learn computer basics with one-on-one sessions that can be reserved by by calling 212-662-9727. Topics covered include Windows 7 basics, connecting devices to the computer, email for beginners, downloading NYPL e-books, and more. The sessions will be in person.
- Discuss the book you're currently reading, new and noteworthy books, and get recommendations at August's Open Book Hour for adults on August 11 at 12:00PM.
- The Teen Advisory Group is meeting on August 11 at 4PM to help the library come up with ideas for programming, provide insights on what teens are reading right now, and even suggest books to recommend on social media.
- Log on to live online story time on August 19 at 4PM to hear stories about summer for children and their caregivers.
- Open Book Hour for teens ages 13-18 is on August 25 at 4PM. Bring whatever you're reading right now and enjoy a wide-ranging discussion.
Past Updates from George Bruce Library
- The New York Public Library has resources available in Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, French, and Japanese. Library catalog search is available in 23 languages (not counting English!), including those listed above, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Thai, and Urdu. See the library's multilingual resources.
- Learn about the procedures now that all NYPL branches are open.
- Overdue fees are suspended until September 30, 2021.
- Summer Learning 2021: Imagine Together is still going on! There's a summer reading challenge, a writing contest, virtual summer camp, resources for educators, and more.
- Check out the Summer 2021 staff recommendations.
The New York Public Library (NYPL) is a great resource for New Yorkers, offering virtual events, free online services, and a wide variety of support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Columbia Neighbors has partnered with the George Bruce Library on 125th Street to provide regular updates from library staff and highlight its fantastic offerings.