Construction Update: Weeks of 5/29/23 and 6/5/23
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Superstructure:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- The superstructure phase is anticipated to be complete in June 2023
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Overnight utility street work to install sewer connections for Con Edison power service will be performed between the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. This work involves saw cutting and breaking up the street by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Utilities and fire department standpipe are being installed throughout the building.
- Delivery and installation of rebar and formwork for columns and slabs for the 34th floor to the roof
- Concrete trucks and pumps will be used to pour columns, stairs, and floor slabs
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter
- Installation of the vertical hoist is continuing
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Joint pointing, lintel painting and brick replacement will continue at the north elevation. This work will create intermittent jackhammering, vibration, grinding noise and dust at the beginning and then it will be mostly quiet.
- The installation of new terra cotta units will continue at the west elevations and the elevator tower, weather permitting. Terra cotta units are anchored to the building with about 2-4 pins each. Drilling for pins will create some intermittent noise followed by mostly quiet work.
Open Lot on Broadway Between W. 130th and W. 131st Streets
- Installation of a storm water retention system in the open lot adjacent to David Geffen Hall, between W. 130th and W. 131st Streets. Storm water retention will be connected to the NYC Department of Environmental Protection sewer system underneath the roadway on W. 130th Street.
- Work includes excavation, installation of drainage structures and piping, backfilling, sidewalk/roadway demolition and restoration. Work is anticipated to be completed in mid-June.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Work hours for overnight utility street work are 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, with possible work hours on Saturday and Sunday in accordance with all necessary permits by the NYC Department of Transportation.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.