Construction Update: Weeks of 3/27/23 and 4/3/23
The latest updates on what to expect and construction updates related to the Manhattanville campus.
March 24, 2023
View a PDF version of this week's update
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Superstructure:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- The superstructure phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2023
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Overnight utility street work to install sewer connections for Con Edison power service will begin on or around Monday, March 27, with work hours between 10 p.m to 6:30am. This work will take 2-4 weeks to complete, and will involve saw cutting and breaking up the street by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material. Utilities and fire department standpipe are being installed throughout the building.
- Delivery and installation of rebar and formwork for columns and slabs for the 21th to 24th floors
- Concrete trucks and pumps will be used to pour columns, stairs, and floor slabs
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels
- Layout and installation of interior walls
- Installation of the vertical hoist is continuing
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Joint cutting work at the elevator tower will continue, weather permitting. It will create grinding noise and dust but may not be noticeable to occupants.
- The crew will continue to work mainly at the elevator tower bulkhead and work will be located primarily in the interior of the bulkhead. This work will create some intermittent noise but may not be noticeable to occupants.
- The installation of new terra cotta units will begin at the south and north elevation, weather permitting. Terra cotta units are anchored to the building with about 2-4 pins each. Drilling for pins will create some intermittent noise followed by mostly quiet work
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution and to help mitigate overcrowding and noise at the loading dock. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- Overnight utility street work to install sewer connections for Con Edison power service will begin on or around Monday, March 27. Work hours will be 10:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. Monday through Friday, with possible work hours on Saturday and Sunday in accordance with all necessary permits by the NYC Department of Transportation. This work is anticipated to take 2-4 weeks to complete.
- There may be some visible smoke from the support of excavation removal that contractors will control to be away from adjacent buildings using air filtration equipment and fans.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.