Construction Update: Weeks of 9/4/23 and 9/11/23
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Curtainwall and Interior Fit-Out
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction.
- The curtainwall contractor will install exterior walls from inside the new building using small lifts and cranes as well as exterior scaffolding.
- This phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2024.
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Con Edison is performing intermittent work in vaults located within the sidewalk on W. 125th Street in front of the project site between the hours of 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. Noise blankets are in place on the interior and outside of the construction fence to help mitigate noise.
- Overnight utility street work to install sewer connections for Con Edison power service will be performed between the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., pending the approval of permits. This work involves saw cutting and breaking up the street by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Utilities and fire department standpipe are being installed throughout the building.
- Elevator equipment and rail installation are in progress.
- Concrete trucks and pumps will be used to pour curbs, parapets, etc.
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels.
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter.
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Site 6 (Open Lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets)
- An exploratory geothermal survey is being performed at the open lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets.
- Drilling will continue the week of September 5 with loop installation and grouting.
- Noise mitigation blankets will be installed around the work area as an extra precaution.
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Terra cotta repairs (pinning and cleaning), lintel replacement, and miscellaneous masonry repairs will continue at the north and south elevations ground level. Expect a low to medium level of intermittent drilling noise and dust, mostly on the lower floors.
- Installation of the flashing, pavers and FDNY walkway will continue on the roof. This work is mostly quiet but prepping the dunnage for flashing and installation of walkway platform will create a low level of occasional drilling noise and odor. Any noises from the roof may be noticeable only on the 6th floor.
- Terra cotta installation will continue at the elevator tower. Any noise and dust from this area will be unnoticeable to the occupants.
- Window replacement will begin at the elevator tower. Any noise and dust from this area will be unnoticeable to the occupants.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Work hours for overnight utility street work are 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, with possible work hours on Saturday and Sunday in accordance with all necessary permits by the NYC Department of Transportation. Noise blankets are in place on the interior and outside of the construction fence to help mitigate noise.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.