Construction Update: Weeks of 7/11/22 and 7/18/22
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Excavation and Foundation:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- Excavation and foundation is anticipated to be complete by the end of the third quarter of 2022
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Daytime utility work is anticipated to commence on the north side of 125th Street during the week of July 11, pending the approval of permits. Work will involve the contractor saw cutting and breaking up the street to install the new building utility connections (for future water and sanitary) by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material. Utility work will also be performed on Broadway in the coming weeks, pending the approval of permits.
- Northern perimeter foundation work is in progress
- Installation of soil plugs which includes the drilling of metal sleeves and injecting concrete
- Installation of dewatering system including wellpoints using drills and pumps
- Concrete trucks will be used to install the ejector pits, elevator pit, and mat slabs
- Underground utility installation for the building has commenced
- An excavator will be used to complete site grading and clean up
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Removal of the spalled concrete wall at the east elevation will resume later in the week of July 11. Demolition will be limited to the northeast and southeast corners and will continue for approximately 3 weeks.
- Installation of inboard facing brick at the parapet wall on the west elevation will continue through the week of July 11, weather permitting.
- Terra cotta repairs will continue at the south and southwest corner parapet wall for the next 2-3 weeks.
- Abatement of tar coating on the brick chimney on the east elevation and coping stone on the west elevation will be scheduled for the week of July 18. This tar coating is non-friable, and the abatement work is limited to the roof level only. All debris will be properly removed from the roof via the exterior scaffolding.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with hours adjusted within that window depending on the construction activity. Some work may be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits from the New York City Department of Buildings. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Read about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends