Construction Update: Weeks of 5/23/22 and 5/30/22
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Excavation and Foundation:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- Excavation and foundation is anticipated to be complete by the end of the third quarter of 2022
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Utility work on 125th Street is almost complete and will be backfilled. Once complete, utility work will begin on Broadway. Work will involve the contractor saw cutting and breaking up the street to install the new building utility connections (for future water and sanitary) by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Installation of soil plugs which includes the drilling of metal sleeves and injecting concrete
- Concrete trucks will be used to install the ejector pits and elevator pit
- Underground utility installation for the building has commenced
- Excavator will be used to complete site grading and clean up
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Removal of the spalled concrete wall at the east elevation will continue for the next 2-3 weeks, weather permitting. Work will take place at the southern half of the east elevation starting from the 6th floor down to the ground level. Removal of spalled concrete requires chipping and some jackhammering, and it will take approximately 1-2 days per floor.
- Reconstruction of the east parapet wall is continuing. This is mostly quiet work.
- Rebricking of inboard facing wythe of brick at the south parapet wall is continuing. This is mostly quiet work.
Site 4 (project site at 125th Street and 12th Avenue)
- Geothermal drilling and testing are occurring through June
- Flow and temperature testing is ongoing
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with hours adjusted within that window depending on the construction activity. Some work may be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits from the New York City Department of Buildings. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Read about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends