Construction Update: Weeks of 2/12/24 and 2/19/24
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Curtainwall and Interior Fit-Out
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction.
- The curtainwall contractor will install exterior walls from inside the new building using small lifts and cranes as well as exterior scaffolding.
- This phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2024.
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Street work for telecommunications service on 125th Street is expected to occur between 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Work will involve saw cutting to open up the street, a small excavator to trench the opening, the installation of conduits, backfill, and the repair of the road.
- Utilities and the fire alarm system are being installed throughout the building.
- Elevator installation is substantially completed
- Exterior vertical transportation is being disassembled.
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels.
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter.
- Small pump trucks will be used to install finished concrete floors.
- Installation of flooring, kitchen cabinets, millwork, tiling, and painting is in progress.
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Starting the week of February 12, the pipe scaffolding around the elevator tower and west elevation will be removed. Removal work will take approximately 2-3 weeks total. Expect a low level of metal clanking noise.
- The next expected noisy work will start on or around the week of February 19 at the roof level near the elevator tower. Expect medium to high levels of drilling and vibration for about 3-5 days. Noise and vibration will be noticeable only on the 6th floor.
- Starting mid to end of February, the terra cotta installation at the ground level will commence. This work will continue until the completion of the project which is estimated at June 2024.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Some work may also be performed after hours and on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.