Construction Update: Weeks of 12/11/23 and 12/18/23
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Curtainwall and Interior Fit-Out
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction.
- The curtainwall contractor will install exterior walls from inside the new building using small lifts and cranes as well as exterior scaffolding.
- This phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2024.
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Work to pull telecommunications cables on 125th Street and Broadway is expected to start the week of December 11, pending necessary approvals. This work will include workers entering manholes to pull telecommunication cables through existing street conduit, and may be performed during the overnight hours, as per NYC Department of Transportation requirements.
- Interior fireproofing and lighting of the building’s elevator shaft walls is being performed during the overnight hours between 7:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. Work is taking place within thick, concrete walls which is anticipated to mitigate noise.
- Utilities and fire department standpipe are being installed throughout the building.
- Elevator installation is in progress.
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels.
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter.
- Small pump trucks will be used to install finished concrete floors.
- Road work for telecommunications will start after the new year.
Site 6 (Open Lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets)
- An exploratory geothermal survey was performed at the open lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets.
- The contractor is removing all materials and restoring the site to its original condition
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Lintel and miscellaneous masonry repair work will continue at the south end of the west elevation until the end of December. Expect a medium level of occasional cutting noise on all floors.
- Brick replacement and stucco repair work will continue at the southeast corner. This work is mostly quiet.
- Terra cotta installation will continue at the elevator tower until the end of December. Any noise and dust from this area will be unnoticeable to occupants.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 3:00 a.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Telecommunications work may occur during the overnight hours during the week of December 11, pending necessary approvals.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.