Construction Update: Weeks of 10/23/23 and 10/30/23
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Curtainwall and Interior Fit-Out
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction.
- The curtainwall contractor will install exterior walls from inside the new building using small lifts and cranes as well as exterior scaffolding.
- This phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2024.
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Overnight street work for telecommunications service on 125th Street has been rescheduled to commence on or around Monday, October 23, pending necessary approvals. Work will occur between 10:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. and will involve saw cutting to open up the street, a small excavator to trench the opening, the installation of conduits, backfill, and the repair of the road. This work is anticipated to take one week to complete.
- Con Edison is performing intermittent work in vaults located within the sidewalk on W. 125th Street in front of the project site between the hours of 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Utilities and fire department standpipe are being installed throughout the building.
- Elevator equipment and rail installation are in progress.
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels.
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter.
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Site 6 (Open Lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets)
- An exploratory geothermal survey was performed at the open lot on Broadway between 130th and 131st Streets.
- Drilling and data gathering is complete. The contractor will be removing all materials over the next two weeks and will restore the site to its original condition.
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Terra cotta installation will be completed at the southwest corner parapet. Once completed, pipe scaffolding will be removed and hanging scaffolding will be installed in its place. Expect medium to low levels of occasional drilling noise and metal clanking noise during pipe scaffolding removal.
- Brick replacement and stucco repair work will begin at the southeast corner. Expect medium to high levels of occasional drilling noise at the beginning followed by mostly quiet work.
- Miscellaneous masonry work will continue at the ground level north and south elevations. This work is mostly quiet.
- Terra cotta installation and window replacement will continue at the elevator tower. Any noise and dust from this area will be unnoticeable to occupants.
- The remaining roof work will resume in November.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Work hours for overnight utility street work are 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, with possible work hours on Saturday and Sunday in accordance with all necessary permits by the NYC Department of Transportation. Noise blankets are in place on the interior and outside of the construction fence to help mitigate noise.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.