Springtime Events In Person and Online at George Bruce Library
There's a lot happening at George Bruce Library on 125th Street this month! Enjoy book discussions, virtual and in-person storytimes, learn to crochet, and explore everything from K-pop to portrait photography. There's a mix of in-person and online events to accommodate everyone. Masks are encouraged for in-person events.
The library will be closed from May 28 to May 30 for Memorial Day weekend.
- The exhibition from Inwood artists Takashi Harada and Kaé Sato has been extended through June 10. See artworks that depict connections between humans and nature and amongst human beings through our memory in their exhibition "KIBŌ". Open to adults 18+.
- Adults ages 50+ can schedule one-on-one sessions at the library to learn computer basics like word processing, email, and the internet. Call 212-662-9727 or register in-person, or come by the open lab sessions on Fridays at 2PM.
- Crochet and chat in person on May 7 and May 21 at 2PM, or virtually on May 18 at 2PM.
- Enjoy storytime for the family! In-person storytimes take place on Tuesdays at 12:30PM, so stop by on May 10, May 17, May 24, or May 31. Virtual story times are on Thursdays at 12:30PM. Register for May 12, May 19, or May 26.
- Head to the library on Tuesdays and Thursdays for open play time in the children's reading room. For children from 18–36 months.
- This month's virtual Open Book Hour for adults is on May 11 at 12PM. Join your fellow readers to discuss noteworthy books, swap recommendations, and more.
- Watch as eight talented all-female dance crews compete to see who is the best in Street Woman Fighter, South Korea's newest dance competition, at Positively K-Pop: For the Love of Street Woman Fighter: A Korean Dance Competition Discussion on May 12 at 12:30PM.
- Teens can come by on Thursdays at 4PM for Game On!, an in-person gaming session using Nintendo Switch consoles.
- Learn to take a selfie the old-fashioned way in Selfies: Unplugged, a workshop with a professional photographer about portrait photography on May 13 at 4PM.
- Learn about the art of self-portraiture on May 11 and May 18 at 5:30PM! Space is limited so register now for the workshops.
- Join the virtual Teen Advisory Group on May 24 at 4PM to help guide George Bruce Library staff as they choose books to recommend and plan programming for teenagers.
- Explore the world of Korean rock music with Positively K-Pop: Korean Rock n Roll on May 24 at 4PM.
- Teens 13-18 can discuss whatever they're currently reading at the virtual Teen Book Discussion on May 31 at 4PM.
Past Updates from George Bruce Library
Exhibitions and Resources
- Celebrate Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month with events, book recommendations for all ages, special online storytimes for children, and more.
- Books For All: In response to recent efforts to ban certain books in some communities across the United States, the Library is making a selection of commonly banned books available to everyone—for free.
- Get learning resources for kids of all ages, educators, parents, and caregivers. Whether in person or online, the library connects you with after-school care, books, homework help, learning activities and tools, and much more.
- Late fees are gone for good. Read up on how book return policies will work going forward.
The New York Public Library (NYPL) is a great resource for New Yorkers, offering virtual events, free online services, and a wide variety of support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Columbia Neighbors has partnered with the George Bruce Library on 125th Street to provide regular updates from library staff and highlight its fantastic offerings.