Learn About the Women Who Built NYPL and Celebrate Women's History at the George Bruce LIbrary
Discuss books by women, learn about the women who shaped the New York Public Library, and more.
Every year during Women's History Month you can learn about the women who helped build the New York Public Library (NYPL). This year's spotlight is on Roberta Saltzman, who was chief assistant librarian at NYPL’s Dorot Jewish Division and helped build the Library's Jewish cookbook collection, one of the largest and most diverse in the world. She, and many others, have their stories documented at Foreword: Women Who Built NYPL.
At George Bruce Library on West 125th Street, librarians hold virtual and in-person events, help patrons use the library's many resources, and much more. Schools and local organizations can organize visits to learn more about the resources available at George Bruce Library.
— Free tax assistance is available on Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00 am to 2:30 pm.
— Get engaged! The Civic Engagement Series: Activist Poster Workshop is on March 7 at 5:00 pm. Registration required.
— On March 18 at 2:00 pm, enjoy readings of new and beloved plays by resident playwright Cesi Davidson. These readings will contain some mature content.
— Open play time for children under 3 in the children's room is available from Monday to Saturday! Check the hours available every day.
— Computer basics lessons for adults are back. Sign up in person or by calling 212-662-9727 to register for the one-on-one sessions on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 12:15 pm, or for the open lab hour on Fridays at 2:00 pm.
— This month's open book discussion hour is themed around Women's History Month! Read a book by a female author, and join a conversation with your fellow readers on March 8 at 12:00 pm.
— Enjoy Family Storytime on Tuesdays at 12:30 pm.
— Game on! Kids ages 5-12 can play with Legos and board games on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:00 pm and video games on Wednesdays at 4:00 pm.
— College prep: ask questions about college, work on your applications, learn about schools, and more at College and Career Pathways on Thursdays at 3:00 pm.
— Practice your English with the English Conversation Group on March 14 and March 28 at 4:00 pm.
— Job search: get your resume in tip-top shape with Resume Fundamentals on March 15 at 2:00 pm.
Check the times for more recurring virtual and in-person events, such as open book discussion hours, lounge sessions and crafting hours for teens, art and science hours for kids, chess clubs for adults and teens, and more on the George Bruce Library's event listings.
Past Updates from George Bruce Library
- Join NYPL and WNYC's book club, and enjoy virtual and in-person discussions. This month's book is I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai.
- Get tax help from NYPL. There are branches throughout Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island that are offering assistance with preparing your taxes.
- Make sure you're all set to vote this summer. Did you know that the deadline to change your party registration online is Monday, February 13? Get voting information.
- Enjoy the best of NYPL without leaving the comfort of your own home in the cold: download the NYPL app and SimplyE for all your ebook and e-audiobook needs.
- Access community resources for health and wellness, tenant assistance, and more.
For more news from the George Bruce Library, follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.