Construction Update: Weeks of 9/26/22 and 10/3/22
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Excavation and Foundation:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- Excavation and foundation is anticipated to be complete by mid-October 2022
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Daytime utility work on Broadway will start in the coming weeks. Work will involve the contractor saw cutting and breaking up the street and sidewalk to install the new building utility connections (for future water and sanitary) by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Installation of foundation wall formwork and rebar, waterproofing, and steel bracing
- Concrete trucks will be used to install foundation walls
- An excavator will be used to perform cleanup, backfill, and Con Edison vault pits
- Con Edison vaults will be delivered and installed after vault pits are approved by Con Edison.
- Installation of sidewalk shed and rooftop protection at adjacent buildings. In addition, the MTA will install protection at the 125th Street subway station escalator during the week of September 26, from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Terra cotta repairs will continue at the north parapet wall. Intermittent drilling is expected.
- Installation of the sidewalk bridge and additional section of pipe scaffolding on the west elevation. Intermittent metal clanking and hammering noises are expected.
- Once the scaffolding is erected at the west elevation, selective areas of terra cotta, concrete and brick piers will be demolished at the north end of the west parapet wall during the week of September 26. Intermittent drilling and grinding noise are expected.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits from the New York City Department of Buildings. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- The MTA will be installing protection at the 125th Street subway station escalator during the week of September 26 between 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Read about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends