Construction Update: Weeks of 4/18/22 and 4/25/22
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Excavation and Foundation:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- Excavation and foundation is anticipated to be complete by the end of the second quarter of 2022
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Utility work on 125th Street will resume the week of April 18. The NYC Department of Transportation has granted a street permit for work to be performed Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Work will involve the contractor saw cutting and breaking up the street to install the new building utility connections (for future water and sanitary) by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Installation of in-ground columns to form cutoff walls from the in-ground water to facilitate the installation of the north ejector pit. Drill rigs, a backhoe, and a mini-bulldozer will be used to perform this work.
- Timber lagging will be installed on north side of the site
- Excavator will be used to complete general site grading, berm removal, and clean up
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Demolition of the east elevation parapet wall will continue through the week of April 25
- Partial demolition of the south parapet pier (east end of the parapet) for investigative purposes will be scheduled for April 19 and 20
- Terra cotta repair mock-ups will be installed on the south elevation parapet on April 20 through April 22
- Demolition of the south elevation parapet piers will begin April 25 and is anticipated to continue through the week of May 6. Demolition will start on the east end and move westward.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with hours adjusted within that window depending on the construction activity. Some work may be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits from the New York City Department of Buildings. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Read about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends