Construction Update: Weeks of 1/15/24 and 1/22/24
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Curtainwall and Interior Fit-Out
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction.
- The curtainwall contractor will install exterior walls from inside the new building using small lifts and cranes as well as exterior scaffolding.
- This phase is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2024.
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- Utilities and fire alarm system are being installed throughout the building.
- Elevator installation is nearing completion.
- The building enclosure contractor is completing deliveries and installing exterior panels.
- Layout and installation of interior walls by masons and carpenter.
- Small pump trucks will be used to install finished concrete floors.
- Installation of flooring, kitchen cabinets, millwork, tiling, and painting is in progress.
- Work to pull telecommunications cables on 125th Street and Broadway is expected to start January 15 or later. This work will include workers entering manholes to pull telecommunication cables through existing street conduit. Street excavation is anticipated to follow the week after during the overnight as per NYC Department of Transportation requirements.
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- Lintel and miscellaneous masonry repair work will continue at the west elevation (north of elevator tower). Due to inclement weather, this work is delayed by about 2 weeks. Expect a medium to high level of occasional drilling and cutting noise on all floors.
- Terra cotta installation will continue at the elevator tower until the end of January 2024. Any noise and dust from this area will be unnoticeable to occupants.
- The next expected noisy work will start on or around mid-February 2024, which includes roof replacement around the elevator tower and terra cotta installation at the ground level.
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
- Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 3:00 a.m. Some work may also be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and after hours in accordance with all necessary permits. After-hours permit approved for 6:30 a.m. operation of the hoist to transport workers to floors where work is being performed. This permit is required as a safety precaution to reduce overcrowding as well as to help mitigate noise at the loading dock.
- Note that the contractor will begin daily set-up preparations 30 to 60 minutes before work commences and will perform site clean-up 30 to 60 minutes after work is completed.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Visit the project page to learn about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends.