Construction Update: Weeks of 9/12/22 and 9/19/22
The latest updates on what to expect and construction updates related to the Manhattanville campus.
September 09, 2022
View a PDF version of this week's update
600 W. 125th Street
Current Phase of Construction: Excavation and Foundation:
- Noisy work should be expected during most days during this phase of construction
- Excavation and foundation is anticipated to be complete by the end of the third quarter of 2022
What is Happening During the Next Two Weeks:
- On Saturday, September 17, 2022, beginning at 5 a.m., a monolithic concrete pour will be performed at 600 W. 125th Street to create the building’s foundation. This work was rescheduled from Saturday, September 10 due to unexpected delays in receiving required materials for the concrete. The work will involve concrete trucks pouring concrete continuously over a 12-hour period to be completed by approximately 6:00 p.m., with additional cleanup and other finishing activities lasting into the evening. Equipment and concrete pumps will be set up the day before during normal hours (7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.).
- Daytime utility work on Broadway will start in the coming weeks. Work involves the contractor saw cutting and breaking up the street and sidewalk to install the new building utility connections (for future water and sanitary) by using jackhammers, road saw, and backhoe. A dump truck will be used to remove material.
- Site dewatering is in progress
- Installation of mat slab rebar, foundations formwork, waterproofing, and steel bracing
- Concrete trucks will be used to install building mat slab and foundation walls
- Underground utility layout and installation
- An excavator will be used to perform cleanup and Con Edison vault pits
- Installation of sidewalk protection and adjacent building protection
- Regular work hours temporarily extended until 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Studebaker Building Façade Repairs and Roof Replacement
- The concrete wall at the east elevation ground level will be patched and coated
- The brick at the base of the elevator tower will be replaced
- Terra cotta repairs will continue at the south and southwest corner parapet wall which includes rebuilding the piers
- Selective areas of terra cotta, concrete and brick piers will be demolished at the north parapet wall
- Beginning September 20, additional scaffolding will be installed on the west elevation
Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions.
What to Expect
Regular working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, with after-hours work occurring until 8:00 p.m. Some work may be performed on weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in accordance with all necessary permits from the New York City Department of Buildings. Note that contractors may mobilize on site approximately 30 to 45 minutes before work commences.
- On Saturday, September 17, work will begin at 5:00 a.m., with the concrete pour anticipated to be completed by approximately 6:00 p.m., and additional cleanup and other finishing activities lasting into the evening. Approximately 20 concrete trucks will be staged on 125th Street and 12th Avenue for deliveries, and trucks will be washed out offsite at 608 W. 132nd Street.
- Although contractors carefully stage construction activities to minimize disruption to the surrounding community, the nature of construction work is such that some disruptions will occur. Expect some noise, vibration, dust, and other related impacts due to construction. Read about our comprehensive clean construction program and mitigation protocols.
- The parking lane will be closed on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to St. Clair Place. Parking will not be available on the south side of W. 125th Street from Broadway to the mid-block in front of the entire length of the 600 W. 125th Street construction fence.
- Refer to street signage for the west side of Broadway from 129th to 130th Streets — parking is allowed from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and on weekends