Sign up to receive our construction updates:
Current Construction Activity
Central Energy Plant Boiler Stacks Installation
Slurry Wall and Foundation
Abatement and Demolition
Manhattan Valley Viaduct Preparation Work
- Broadway Viaduct Work (pdf)
The initial phase of development will include the Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the Lenfest Center for the Arts, a new home for the Columbia Business School, and an academic conference center. Later phases will emphasize interdisciplinary scholarship, including biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, systems biology, and urban and population studies, as well as housing for graduate students and faculty.
Should you have a question about construction activity, we encourage you to call the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222 or e-mail email@example.com.
Construction UpdatesConstruction Activities for the Weeks of:
November 24 and December 1, 2014
What is happening
Abatement and Demolition
- Abatement and demolition is planned at a select University-owned building within the block bordered by Broadway, West 125th Street and West 129th Streets.
- Full building demolition has been completed. Disposal of demolition debris is ongoing.
Jerome L. Greene Science Center
- Masonry is being completed in below grade levels. Epoxy painting of below grade perimeter walls.
- Installation of MEP piping and ductwork on below grade levels through 7th floor
- Glass facade panels are being installed on 1st floor
- Framing and sheetrock of interior partitions is being installed on 3rd through 6th floors
- Roofing work is being installed on 8th through 10th floors
- Metal façade panels are being installed on mechanical penthouse
- Elevator equipment is being installed
- Radiant perimeter heating and secondary slab pour installation on 3rd through 9th floors
- Temporary boiler unit is in operation, located along the Broadway façade
Lenfest Center for the Arts
- Install metal decks on the 6th floor through the remaining floors to the roof
- Steel frame topped out and bolted up to 4th floor
- East and West stairs are completed to the roof
- Hoist complete and approved for operation
- Installation of CEP stand pipe plumbing up to the 8th floor
- Curtain wall assembly has begun
- Concrete pour on 3rd and 4th floors
- Reinforcing bars (rebar) being installed on 6th floor
West 130th Street Work (between Broadway and 12th Avenue)
- Installation of new structure in a portion of the area below grade that will allow for future development. Additionally, this structure will support the new street construction that consists of new road pavement, sidewalks, curbs, utilities and street lighting.
- Installation of waterproofing at concrete deck and retaining walls
- Storm and sanitary sewer work is expected to begin in December
-Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions-
What to expect
- Regular weekday work hours: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday work hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Steel deliveries to the site
Temporary Traffic and Transportation Impacts
- No standing on West 129th Street between Broadway and West 125th Street
- West 130th Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue is anticipated to remain closed until the summer of 2015
- The bus stop on W125th Street (between W129th Street and Broadway) and the bus stop on Broadway (between W129th and W125th streets) will be temporarily out of service
- West 131st Street (between Broadway and 12th Avenue) has been reopened. There is one eastbound and one westbound lane open.
- The north sidewalk of West 131st Street will be closed from Broadway to a point approximately 300 feet west of Broadway. There will be a temporary walkway adjacent to the closed sidewalk. There will be no parking in this zone and traffic will be restricted to one eastbound traffic lane.
- There is a no parking zone in effect on the west side of Broadway from 125th to 131st streets