Sign up to receive our construction updates:
Current Construction Activity
Central Energy Plant Boiler Stacks Installation
Slurry Wall and Foundation
Abatement and Demolition
Manhattan Valley Viaduct Preparation Work
- Broadway Viaduct Work (pdf)
The initial phase of development will include the Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the Lenfest Center for the Arts, a new home for the Columbia Business School, and an academic conference center. Later phases will emphasize interdisciplinary scholarship, including biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, systems biology, and urban and population studies, as well as housing for graduate students and faculty.
Should you have a question about construction activity, we encourage you to call the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222 or e-mail email@example.com.
Construction UpdatesConstruction Activities for the Weeks of:
September 1 and September 8, 2014
What is happening
Abatement and Demolition
- Abatement and demolition is planned at select University-owned buildings within the block bordered by Broadway, West 125th Street and West 129th Streets. Abatement work is complete. Gas and water connections underway.
Jerome L. Greene Science Center
- HVAC equipment being installed on penthouse levels, including two boiler breaching (ventilation) stacks
- Masonry is being completed in below grade levels. Epoxy painting of below grade perimeter walls
- Pouring of finish slab at SC4 level (below grade) is near completion
- North tower crane disassembled and removed from site
- Installation of MEP piping and ductwork on below grade levels through 6th floor
- Glass facade panels are being installed on 1st floor
- Framing and sheetrock of interior partitions is being installed on 3rd through 5th floors
- Roofing work is being installed on 8th through 10th floors
- Exterior framing of mechanical penthouse
Lenfest Center for the Arts
- Install metal decks on 2nd through 4th floors
- Install structural steel to roof level
- Interior stairs are being installed
- Hoist platform being erected
- Installation of CEP stand pipe plumbing has begun/li>
West 130th Street Work (between Broadway and 12th Avenue)
- Installation of new structure in a portion of the area below grade that will allow for future development. Additionally, this structure will support the new street construction that consists of new road pavement, sidewalks, curbs, utilities and street lighting
- Install structural steel and metal deck
-Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions-
What to expect
- Regular work hours: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Trucking of soil off-site from excavation operations
- Steel deliveries to the site
Temporary Traffic and Transportation Impacts
- No standing on West 129th Street between Broadway and West 125th Street
- West 129th Street will be closed from 6:00 a.m. Friday, September 5th through midnight Wednesday, September 10th
- West 129th Street between Broadway and 125th Street will be closed from 6:00 a.m. Saturday, September 13th through 6:00 p.m. Sunday, September 14th
- West 130th Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue is anticipated to remain closed until the summer of 2015
- West 131st Street has been reopened. There is one eastbound and one westbound lane open.
- There will be no a parking zone in effect on the west side of Broadway from 130th to 131st Streets. The existing construction fence will be relocated to the curb line and the existing Broadway sidewalk will be closed from 130th to 131st streets. The Broadway parking lane will be used as a temporary sidewalk and barriers will be installed to separate pedestrians from traffic.