Sign up to receive our construction updates:
Current Construction Activity
Slurry Wall and Foundation
Abatement and Demolition
Manhattan Valley Viaduct Preparation Work
- Broadway Viaduct Work (pdf)
The initial phase of development will include the Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the Lenfest Center for the Arts, a new home for the Columbia Business School, and an academic conference center. Later phases will emphasize interdisciplinary scholarship, including biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, systems biology, and urban and population studies, as well as housing for graduate students and faculty.
Should you have a question about construction activity, we encourage you to call the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Construction UpdatesConstruction Activities for the Weeks of:
April 21 and April 28, 2014
What is happening
Slurry Wall and Foundations
- Installation of foundation walls and other foundation elements to support the new buildings that will be constructed above the below grade space. This project is located within the eastern portion of the block bordered by West 129th Street, West 130th Street, Broadway, and 12th Avenue.
- “Top-Down” construction work is complete
- Installing stone for drainage system on the Jerome L. Greene and Central Energy Plant mat slab
West 130th Street Work (between Broadway and 12th Avenue)
- Installation of new structure in a portion of the area below grade that will allow for future development. Additionally, this structure will support the new street construction that consists of new road pavement, sidewalks, curbs, utilities and street lighting.
- Excavation and removal of the existing soil
- Installation of drilled shaft foundations
Jerome L. Greene Superstructure
- Masonry is being installed in below grade levels
- Egress stairs being installed in below grade levels
- Building air handling units are being installed on 2nd floor
- Metal façade panels are being installed on 2nd floor
- Glass facade panels are being installed on 3rd through 6th floors
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing piping and ductwork is being installed on 3rd floor through 4th floors
- Elevator shaft and electrical closets framing is being installed
- Bolting and welding of the steel is being completed on penthouse levels
- Concrete floors complete on 10th floor. Penthouse levels scheduled for late April.
Lenfest Center for the Arts
- Mobilization of construction equipment and trailer relocation
- Preparation work for ground floor steel
-Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions-
What to expect
- Regular work hours: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday work hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- There will be no a parking zone in effect on the west side of Broadway from 130th to 131st Streets beginning the week of 4/28/14. The existing construction fence will be relocated to the curb line and the existing Broadway sidewalk will be closed from 130th to 131st streets. The parking lane will be used as a temporary sidewalk and barriers will be installed to separate pedestrians from traffic.
- Crane activity to off-load the steel members from the trucks and to erect them in place on the structure
- Trucking of soil off-site from excavation operations
- Steel deliveries to the site
Temporary Traffic and Transportation Impacts
- No standing on West 129th Street between Broadway and West 125th Street.
- West 130th Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue is anticipated to remain closed until the summer of 2015.
- West 131st Street has been reopened. There is one eastbound and one westbound lane open.