Sign up to receive our construction updates:
Current Construction Activity
Slurry Wall and Foundation
Abatement and Demolition
Manhattan Valley Viaduct Preparation Work
- Broadway Viaduct Work (pdf)
The initial phase of development will include the Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the Lenfest Center for the Arts, a new home for the Columbia Business School, and an academic conference center. Later phases will emphasize interdisciplinary scholarship, including biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, systems biology, and urban and population studies, as well as housing for graduate students and faculty.
Should you have a question about construction activity, we encourage you to call the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222 or e-mail email@example.com.
Construction UpdatesTwo-week Look Ahead
Weeks of December 2 and December 9, 2013
What is happening
Slurry Wall and Foundations
- Installation of foundation walls and other foundation elements to support the new buildings that will be constructed above the below grade space. This project is located within the eastern portion of the block bordered by West 129th Street, West 130th Street, Broadway, and 12th Avenue.
- “Top-Down” construction work continues, which involves excavation of soils and preparation for mat slab for the ongoing construction of the Jerome L. Greene Science Center
West 130th Street Work (between Broadway and 12th Avenue)
- Installation of new structure in a portion of the area below grade that will allow for future development. Additionally, this structure will support the new street construction that consists of new road pavement, sidewalks, curbs, utilities and street lighting.
- Excavation and removal of the existing street pavement and soil for future installation of new drilled shaft foundations
Jerome L. Greene Superstructure
- Structural steel is being erected from the ground floor of the Jerome L. Greene Science Center
- Bolting and welding of the steel as it is erected
- Spray on fireproofing will be applied to steel members and underside of decking
- Shielding panels to be installed at second floor ceiling
- Anchor supports for exterior wall panels to be installed
- Concrete floors being poured
- Mechanical piping and ductwork to be installed from the third floor
-Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions-
What to expect
- Regular work hours: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. No work scheduled on Thursday, November 28th.
- Saturday work hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Steel deliveries to the site
- Crane activity to off-load the steel members from the trucks and to erect them in place on the structure
- Trucking of soil off-site from excavation operations
Temporary Traffic and Transportation Impacts
- No standing on West 129th Street between Broadway and West 125th Street.
- West 130th Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue is anticipated to remain closed until the spring of 2015.
- West 131st Street has been reopened. There is one eastbound and one westbound lane open.