Sign up to receive our construction updates:
Current Construction Activity
Slurry Wall and Foundation
Abatement and Demolition
Manhattan Valley Viaduct Preparation Work
- Broadway Viaduct Work (pdf)
The initial phase of development will include the Jerome L. Greene Science Center, the Lenfest Center for the Arts, a new home for the Columbia Business School, and an academic conference center. Later phases will emphasize interdisciplinary scholarship, including biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, systems biology, and urban and population studies, as well as housing for graduate students and faculty.
Should you have a question about construction activity, we encourage you to call the Columbia University Facilities Services Center at (212) 854-2222 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Construction UpdatesConstruction Activities for the Weeks of:
March 3 and March 10, 2014
What is happening
Slurry Wall and Foundations
- Installation of foundation walls and other foundation elements to support the new buildings that will be constructed above the below grade space. This project is located within the eastern portion of the block bordered by West 129th Street, West 130th Street, Broadway, and 12th Avenue.
- “Top-Down” construction work continues, which involves excavation of soils and preparation for mat slab for the ongoing construction of the Jerome L. Greene Science Center
West 130th Street Work (between Broadway and 12th Avenue)
- Installation of new structure in a portion of the area below grade that will allow for future development. Additionally, this structure will support the new street construction that consists of new road pavement, sidewalks, curbs, utilities and street lighting.
- Excavation and removal of the existing soil
- Installation of drilled shaft foundations
Jerome L. Greene Superstructure
- Building air handling units are being installed on 2nd floor
- Glass facade panels are being installed on 3rd & 4th floors
- Elevator shaft framing is being installed on 3rd through 5th floors
- Pressure concrete slab is being poured
- Bolting and welding of the steel is being completed
- Shielding panels are being installed at 2nd floor ceiling. Sound attenuation (spray-on) is complete on deck and steel on 2nd floor. Concrete encasement of high voltage service is being installed
- Metal façade panels are being installed on 2nd floor
- Concrete floors being poured on upper levels
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing piping and ductwork is being installed on 3rd floor and 4th floors
-Please note that all activities are subject to change based on weather and other field conditions-
What to expect
- Regular work hours: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday work hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Crane activity to off-load the steel members from the trucks and to erect them in place on the structure
- Additional work hours, until 10pm on weekdays, may be required to complete concrete pours that began during regular work hours. These extended work hours could occur several times a week (Monday-Friday).
- Trucking of soil off-site from excavation operations
- Steel deliveries to the site
Temporary Traffic and Transportation Impacts
- No standing on West 129th Street between Broadway and West 125th Street.
- West 130th Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue is anticipated to remain closed until the summer of 2015.
- West 131st Street has been reopened. There is one eastbound and one westbound lane open.